Apple Inc.(NASDAQ:AAPL) launched its much-awaited new operating system, Mountain Lion, for Mac computers on Wednesday. It has features inspired from mobile devices and a better and more secure integration with online file storage. The objective of the new software is to bridge the gap between phone software packages and the PC. This will enable all Mac based Pc’s to function in similar ways like iPhones and iPads.
The concept rivals that of Microsoft Corp., which has come up with something similar with its yet-to-be-released Windows 8 System. Windows 8 will be launched on October 26 and it will revolutionize the entire look of the user interface as it will bring the usability and features of Windows Phone to PCs.
Should Investors Buy AAPL at CMP, Get Free Trend Analysis
Mountain Lion is priced at $20 and is available as a simple download. However, only computers using the two latest versions of the Mac Os, Lion and Snow Leopard, can be upgraded. Upgrading will be free of cost for Macs purchased on or after June 11.
Mountain Lion has the following features:
1. Even when the Mac is in its power-saving sleep move, it can be kept updated using Power Nap. Emails can be received, software updates will be downloaded automatically, and back up of your files will be taken. It is compatible with MacBook Air computers and the higher-end MacBook Pro model, the one with the sharper, "Retina" display.
How Should Investors Trade AAPL Now, Find Out Here
2. The Twitter integration is superb and coming fall, the Facebook integration will be available as well. Mountain Lion has in-built sharing features and notifications about Tweets and Facebook updates. You have to sign in just once and sharing can be done directly from other apps you are using.
3. iCloud, the new online storage device for mobile devices have been integrated with this system.
4. iChat has been replaced by a new Messages app, derived from Apple’s mobile operating system. Now you can send messages to Apple users irrespective of the fact if they are on a Mac or an Apple mobile device.
5. Find game competitors on Apple devices and Macs and also store high scores via Game Center.
6. Type as you talk – the software allows you to dictate to Macs!